News and Announcements
May 3, 2013
Come visit us at the 2013 Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival! The Festival is at the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship, Maryland, May 4 & 5, 9am-6pm on Saturday and 9am-5pm on Sunday.
We have a couple computers set up to show off EnvisioKnit and are here to meet you and answer your questions about the software. Our booth is in the Main Exhibition Hall (the big building, spot A18-A).
We'd love to meet you, so please drop by and say hello!
February 3, 2013
1.3.1 Release Notes
This is a bug-fix release for an issue that was found in 1.3.0.
Release 1.3.1 Summary
- Fixed page settings issue affecting users with language settings that use a comma instead of a period for the decimal point character. This bug caused exported and preview page widths to be very large.
February 2, 2013
1.3.0 Release Notes
We are excited to announce that a major new update of EnvisioKnit has been released! Several new features have been added in EnvisioKnit 1.3.0, as well as several improvements and fixes.
Release 1.3.0 Summary
- The written stitch instruction generation has been vastly improved. Specifically, repeat recognition has been highly tuned to produce optimally concise, knitter-friendly instructions.
- The generated written stitch instructions now support showing color changes. Yarns can be explicitly named, or simplified aliases can be used (See the Manual).
- EnvisioKnit has a cool new tool to create charts from pictures. You can find the new Picture Chart tool under the Tools menu. Please check out the documentation in the User's Manual to see how it works.
- EnvisioKnit can now create charts from written stitch instructions. The Chart from Instructions tool can be found in the Tools menu, and documentation for it can be found here in the User's Manual.
- EnvisioKnit's Pattern Editor now allows you to include photos in your pattern document. This means you no longer have to export to Word or Open Office to add photos -- you can do it directly in EnvisioKnit (see the manual).
- Exported PDF files can now be password protected. Additionally, a tool has been added that can password-protect existing PDF files (even those created by other software). (See the Manual)
- An option for indicating that a chart should be repeated has been added. The written instructions are automatically generated to reflect the repeat. (See the Manual)
- EnvisioKnit can now print your pattern or chart directly from the program, so you can get an immediate hardcopy of your work. Please note that printing has been disabled in the demo version. (See the Manual)
- Pattern and chart documents now use Page Settings. In addition to letter (8.5x11"), legal (8.5x14") and ledger (8.5x17") page sizes are supported. Page settings can be set to portrait or landscape orientation. (See the Manual)
- Written stitch instructions can now include stitch counts at the end of each row instruction. Stitch counts are generated automatically along with the instructions. (See the Manual)
- EnvisioKnit now supports an option for the orientation of chart column numbers. Column number text can be oriented vertically or horizontally. This option is included both in the Chart Preview and in the Default Settings, so a designer can set their preference for all new designs. (See the Manual)
- An option has been added to bold the row number label in written stitch instructions. It has been enabled by default for new charts. (See the Manual)
- A grayscale mode has been added to the chart editor. This feature is useful in colorwork charts to view the value and contrast of the pattern. (See the Manual)
- The stitch symbol editor now has a grid size option which allows you to use a finer grid size. A finer grid will give you more control over shape size and placement, while a larger grid is usually easier to work with.
- When drawing border lines, the escape key can be used to end the line, in addition to clicking the right mouse button.
- Border text can be double clicked to edit existing text. This was not working in the previous version. (See the Manual)
- The previews for the Pattern Editor and Chart Preview have been optimized to use much less memory. Designers using large numbers of charts per design are much less likely to have memory issues.
- Fixed bug in the Stitch Symbol Editor in which selecting a shape from a palette while the palette was scrolled caused the selection to jump to another shape.
- After deleting a chart, the program no longer automatically switches to the pattern editor. If the chart deleted is the current chart, it switches to the last opened chart.
July 27, 2012
1.2.5 Release Notes
This is primarily a bugfix release to resolve a few issues (yes we skipped 1.2.4, we used that version number for a non-public test release).
Minor New Feature:
- Recent palette improvements: Increased the number of stitches that the Recent palette can hold to 100. Stitches can now be optionally removed (via the "X" button) from the Recent stitches palette. Added a "Clear All" button to remove all stitches from the Recent palette.
- In order to properly support Windows 7 taskbar pinning, the installer now requires that all running instances of EnvisioKnit must be closed during installation. The installer now detects and closes running programs, after prompting for your permission.
- Fixed Open Office export issue where in some cases charts could disappear from the Open Office file after adding images.
- In the previous version, when a new cable stitch was created to replace an existing cable already in the palette, the symbol style of new stitch was not updated. This has been fixed.
- In the previous version, the stitch "tooltip" bubble that displayed information about a stitch when you hovered over it in the palette flickered on and off when you hovered over the delete button (the "X"). This has been fixed.
May 8, 2012
EnvisioKnit Reviewed by Knitcircus
Knitcircus is a fantastic resource for news and reviews about yarn, knitting books, events, and all things related to the knitting world, and we are so pleased that they mentioned us. Thank you Knitcircus!
May 8, 2012
Thanks to all of you who visited us at the 2012 Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival! We had a great time and hope you did too.
May 4, 2012
Blue Sheep Software is a vendor at the 2012 Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival! The festival is at the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship, Maryland, May 5 & 6, 9am-6pm on Saturday and 9am-5pm on Sunday. We have a couple computers set up for demoing EnvisioKnit and are available to answer your questions, or just to chat. Our booth is in the Main Exhibition Hall, lot A18-A. If you are attending, you are most welcome to drop by and say hello, we would love to meet you!
April 12, 2012
Our website has a new look! We'd love to know what you think about it. Please feel free to tell us!
April 9, 2012
1.2.3 Release Notes
EnvisioKnit version 1.2.3 has been released. This is a bug-fix update to address a few issues found since the last release.
Release 1.2.3 Summary
- Fixed overflow error introduced in 1.2.1 that occured when the "Show chart" parameter was disabled.
- Fixed issue where in certain conditions the "Delete Columns" tool did not allow columns that contained multi-cell stitches to be deleted even when those stitches were fully contained in the deleted columns.
- Fixed issue in which the order of the charts in the pattern was sometimes not saved correctly.
- Improved memory usage when using multiple large charts.
April 1, 2012
1.2.2 Release Notes
We have released EnvisioKnit version 1.2.2 as a quick patch to address a problem that those using Windows German language settings were having with the last release. If you are not using Windows with German language and number formats, this issue did not affect you. We have added testing with other language settings to our pre-release test procedure to avoid this sort of problem in the future.
ATTN Windows 7 users who are upgrading from 1.2.0: if you have “pinned” version 1.2.0 of EnvisioKnit to your taskbar, remember to unpin it and pin the new version. The new version will be on your desktop. Those who have already upgraded to 1.2.1 can ignore this, as 1.2.2 should replace your 1.2.1 pin automatically.
Release 1.2.2 Summary
- Index line settings have been fixed with consideration for German decimal formats (”,” instead of ”.”). This bug prevented files from previous versions to load correctly when running EnvisioKnit with Windows German language and number format settings. Those files should now load correctly regardless of your Windows language settings.
March 31, 2012
EnvisioKnit Design Studio 1.2.1 has been released!
1.2.1 Release Notes
EnvisioKnit Design Studio 1.2.1 is primarily a bug-fix update to address some issues found with 1.2.0. We like to release bug fixes as soon as possible, but we were also able to include a couple enhancements that were ready for release.
Windows 7 Users: If you have "pinned" a previous version of EnvisioKnit to your taskbar, remember to unpin it and pin the new version. The new version will be on your desktop. (Note: we have addressed this issue in release 1.2.1, so for updates after this release, repinning will no longer be necessary)
Release 1.2.0 Summary
- Thick, colored index lines for the chart grid. These are lines that can have a different color and thickness than the regular grid lines, and can be used to mark every nth row or column.
- Tooltips showing the abbreviation and instructions of a stitch will now appear when hovering over stitches in the stitch palette.
- Install scheme has been changed so that for future updates after this one, Windows 7 users who have pinned the program to their taskbar will no longer have to unpin and repin it--the pin will automatically point to the latest version.
- Bobble saving/reloading bug fixed. Some designs using bobble stitches had issues after saving and reloading. These issues have been fixed, and older design files with the issue will be automatically corrected when loaded with EnvisioKnit 1.2.1.
- Bobble instructions fixed. Bobble stitches generated by version 1.2.0 had incorrect instructions, i.e. ", Turn work, , turn, twice." This has been fixed, and bobble stitches with this problem will be automatically corrected when loaded with EnvisioKnit 1.2.1.
- Ruler scrolling when drag-scrolling chart editor window has been fixed. In previous versions of EnvisioKnit, the chart rulers remained stationary if the chart editor window was scrolled by holding and dragging one of the tools to the edge of the window. This has been fixed, and the rulers now scroll along with the window.
- Fixed offset when copying and pasting border text. In 1.2.0 the border text did not float directly under the cursor while being pasted.
- Fixed RGB entry in the color selector, so that the value can be blank while it is being edited.
March 13, 2012
We now have a print-friendly PDF version of the User’s Manual available. You can find a link to download it at the top of the online manual. The PDF version will be updated each time the online manual is revised, so you should always be able to download the latest version.
February 22, 2012
EnvisioKnit 1.2.0 has been released! We've added several new features and are currently working on updates to the online manual to include them.
Windows 7 Users:If you have "pinned" an older version of EnvisioKnit to your taskbar, please remember to unpin it and repin the new version. The new version will be on your desktop after you install.
Release 1.2.0 Summary
- Chart, yarn and stitch import. Now you can reuse yarns, charts, and stitches from existing designs by importing them into your current design. You can also use this capability to build libraries of patterns to use in future designs.
- Yarn conversion with import. When you import an existing chart into your current project, you can import it with its original yarns, or you can convert chart to use the yarns already in your project. For example, if you are working on a fair-isle project with green and yellow yarns, you can import a blue and white fair isle motif and convert it to use your green and yellow yarns instead.
- Visible no-stitch. In the previous versions, there was only an invisible no-stitch, which is the same color as the chart background color (default white). We have added another type of no-stitch with a color that you can set (default gray). Now you can use the invisible no-stitch along the edge of your charts, and the visible no-stitch inside the stitch pattern.
- Filled shape symbols. We've added several new solid-shape symbols to the stitch editor. The new symbols include solid rectangles, triangles, curves and stars.
- Fixed aspect ratio stitch symbols. By default, stitch symbols stretch to fit the grid cells. You can now disable this in the symbol editor, which will allow you to have perfectly square symbols even if your chart gauge is not square.
- Cable style settings. We've added Cable Style Settings to the Settings menu. Now you can change the symbol style of all your cable stitches at once. Choose from curved, straight, or crossing lines. This option is also available in the default settings menu, which will let you set the style of all the cable stitches your default stitch palette.
- Order the legend by palette order. The legend options in the chart preview now include an option to order the yarns and stitches in the legend by their order in the palettes or by their appearance in the chart. You can change the order of yarns and stitches in the palettes by dragging and dropping them.
- Keyboard shortcuts in pattern editor. The CTRL-C, CTRL-V, CTRL-X keyboard shortcuts now work in the pattern editor text boxes (title, designer, summary, copyright).
- Default file type is remembered. When opening a new file, your choice of file type is remembered while the program is open.
- The default chart background color can now be set via the default settings.
- KVC files can be imported. Most stitches are supported, but custom stitches and reverse cables will be imported as blank custom stitches. Borders will not be imported.
- If the chart gauge is set in the New Chart window, the value is remembered when the next chart is created.
- Yarns used only on no-stitch cells can now be deleted. Since the yarns are used on no-stitch cells, they are not visible to the user and are automatically swapped to a different yarn.
- Fill on no-stitches is now more intuitive. The entire no-stitch area is filled and underlying yarns associated with the no-stitch cells are ignored.
- Legend ignores yarns used only on no-stitch cells. These would be invisible to the user.
- Stitches with the same abbreviation and instructions will appear only once in the stitch glossary, since they are effectively identical.
- Exporting to Word format (.docx) checks for the .NET Framework 3.5 (required just for this feature). If it is not installed, the user will be given the option to go to Microsoft's site where they can download it.
- Ruler numbers are now a more visible dark blue color.
- When design is saved showing the pattern editor, it will load showing the pattern editor (rather than the chart editor).
- If the RS and WS abbreviations for a stitch are the same (i.e. "pb"), the legend will not specify RS and WS separately (i.e. "pb" instead of "RS: pb; WS: pb")
- The yarn selected by default in the yarn palette will be the first one.
- Fixed program and window layouts to appear and work correctly in 125% display mode.
- Charts in DOCX and ODT formats have been sized down to fit the chart boundary, rather than fill the page. Also prevented DOCX charts from being cropped by 1 pixel.
- Rulers in units mode are now updated correctly when the chart gauge is changed.
- "Show chart" option in the chart preview is now saved correctly.
- Allow the Charts menu drop-down to scroll if it is longer than the height of the window. Previously, it could not be displayed if it was too long.
- Fixed zoom-to-fit. The chart is now correctly zoomed to fit without scrolling the window.
- Zoom centering issues have been fixed.
- Fixed spaces between cells that were sometimes visible when the grid was hidden.
- Fixed offset when dragging or copying and pasting border text while the chart editor is scrolled.
- Fixed right-justification of numbers ending with 1's.
- Fixed PDF rendering of border rectangles - all corners are now mitered correctly.
- Fixed yarn and stitch legend bugs that occured when resizing or cropping the chart.
- Prevented blank border text objects from being created, which would prevent a border from being deleted.
- Fixed chart scrolling to include the last pixels on the bottom and right edges.
- Fixed drag-and-drop on palettes when the palette is scrolled.
- Fixed issue in which every-other-row option is disabled when preview is shown.
- Multiple file export window fixed. The file export window can now scroll to make space for more than 4 pages